DuPont is a 3yo Vizsla/Lab mix who made his way into rescue from somewhere in the south. His story is now a year in the making and this page is dedicated to making sure that Pont's next home is his forever home.
DuPont has a ton of fabulous qualities, but he's not for the weak minded or the faint of heart. If you are considering bringing DuPont into your life, I
encourage you to read this blog in it's entirety and make sure that you are prepared for a dog like him.

The photos you see here of DuPont being relaxed and happy and fun are the result of hard work and structure. EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. You do not have to run him 5K every day, but you do have to put him to work and ask things of him on a daily basis.
The result? A calm and happy household.

Friday, August 8, 2014

Door Dashing

I don't like it when dogs 'door dash'.  Trying to beat everybody, including you the human, both to the door and through it.  It's rude and it's irritating and it really ticks me off, especially when some red headed brute is stepping on and/or pushing off my bare feet to get ahead of me.  That shit hurts!

DuPont has always had a little problem with impulse control.  Door dashing can be tidily categorized in the impulse control slot.  So we work on it.  Every day. 

Pont has been with me for well over a month now, and I've loved every rude, frustrating minute of it.  And after several weeks of working on this daily, we're finally solid enough for me to be able to get it on video.  (I didn't attempt to video it prior to this because I didn't feel like breaking my phone when Pont ultimately pulls me through the door)

So without further adieu, here is DuPont, working on his door dashing impulses!



I should point out, so you don't have to, that we actually failed here. Both of us. 'Yes' is not his release cue, so breaking his sit/stay at the reinforcement word is incorrect.

Sometimes you just have to look at the big pictures though. He sat quietly and gave me eye contact in front of an open door. An open door that he really wanted to bolt through.

We're working on it.
Happy Friday, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment